[tex-live] TL2004: Technical problems and testing

Petr Olsak petr at olsak.net
Thu May 13 11:03:08 CEST 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Olaf Weber wrote:

> So it is pretty simple to do this.  The catch is that if you do get
> unprintable stuff spewed on a terminal, the terminal's status may get
> thoroughly screwed.

IMHO, the unreadable terminal (very few instances) is less wrong than
locale dependency.

The readability is not better if ^^ab format is used.

I understand that some escape sequences can totally kill the terminal
but this is not the subject of our interres. The codes >= 128
are safe and cannot break any terminal.

csplain, for example, has its csTRIP test based on scanning the log
output. The log have to be 8bit for codes >=128. We reached this aim by
--translate-file setting in all previous TeXlive versions but not in
the last one. This is bad news for us.

Best

Petr Olsak