[tex-live] texmf trees [was:] lambda, omega, latex.ini

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Wed May 12 20:12:33 CEST 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> > [...] In fact, I'm somehow blind what to do with all that
> >stuff in texmf and texmf-dist (e.g. how it will merged for the final
> >release, etc.). I'd be happy to start my usual task of
> >checking/correcting packages but please let me know all those
> >principles.
> >
> I am trying to reconstruct them  myself, after Fabrice took it apart a
> few months ago and I took my eye off the ball.
>
> for practical purposes, work in Master/texmf-dist/tpm.

OK, will try now.

> the final release won't be doing any merging. what you see today is the
> real thing!

So it means that the users will have installed:
texmf/
texmf-dist/
texmf-doc/

moreover, texmf-var/ (only for formats) and texmf-local/ (for _working_
configuration files and later user's additions) will be also obligatory
(texconfig on unix write formats in texmf-var/ and build texmf-local/
with copies of some conguration files).
We'll end with 5 texmf trees (not counting $HOMETEXMF).
So complicated from the user's point of view and understanding :(

As I understand, we need the main texmf/ for compiling process, but
without many files from texmf-dist/ it cannot be done (e.g. we need
also ..../tex/generic/ruhyphen/ etc. etc.).
Would you please enlighten me more?

Thanks,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz