[tex-live] short-term goals

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sun May 9 22:57:08 CEST 2004

Whatever else we may end up doing, can we agree on a short-term goal of
getting
a  testable system based on the current web2c 7.5.3 source tree from
Olaf, and
an uptodate texmf tree?

Could the binary compilers roll up their sleeves and generate new sets
of binaries,
and I'll attempt to resurrect a texmf tree and an installer?

forget aboutr backward compatibility and all that for the moment; lets
get the thing
working in its intended new way; then sit back and take stock of where
we are. At that point
we can decide on whether to appoint a new leader, how to manage future
change,
what the timetable should be, how to test, etc etc. But until TeX Live
is actually *working*,
I for one cannot decide anything.

Sebastian