[tex-live] Re: Making TeX run faster

James H. Cloos Jr. cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Mar 13 06:19:05 CET 2004

>>>>> "Nelson" == Nelson H F Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu> writes:

Nelson> If others are interesting in contributing to the benchmark
Nelson> data, I can make the (Unix) test scripts available.

Please do.

Also, I noted that use used -O4 w/ gcc-3.3.3.  That should be
identical to -O3 in all gcc versions yet released.  (At least
on x86 systems, and unless I missed some new addition to the
codebase....)

You should also evaluate -Os as well as 1, 2 and 3.  It tries
to minimize the size of the executable, as opposed to -O3 which
tries to speed things up by unrolling loops.  At least for the
cd I expect Os will help squeeze things in considerably when
compared with O3.

-JimC