[tex-live] t1code.tex not found

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Tue Mar 9 09:32:25 CET 2004

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Karl Berry wrote:
>> I can't build latex.efmt with the current setup, t1code.tex is not
>> found.  I was using the master /home/tlprod checkout on tug, so I'm
>> reasonably sure it's not a p4 issue.
>>
>> ...  (/home/tlprod/Master/texmf-dist/tex/generic/hyphen/czhyph.tex !
>> I can't find file `t1code.tex'.
>>
>> The file is present at:
>> /home/tlprod/Master/texmf-dist/tex/csplain/base/t1code.tex

> base ???

> I am the author of csplain and t1code.tex file is the part of this
> package. I disagree with the change of the location of the t1code.tex
> file.

You can disagree but that's what the TDS specifies :

<package> is a TEX package name (examples: babel, texdraw).
In the case where a format consists of only a single file and has no auxiliary packages,
that file can simply be placed in the <format> directory, instead of <format>/base. For example,
Texinfo goes in texmf/tex/texinfo/texinfo.tex, not texmf/tex/texinfo/base/
texinfo.tex.

The TDS reserves the following hpackagei names:
- base, for the base distribution of each format, including files used by INITEX when
dumping format files. For example, in the standard LATEX distribution, the ltx files
created during the build process shall be stored in the base directory.
- hyphen, for hyphenation patterns, including the original American English hyphen.
tex. These are typically used only by INITEX. In most situations, this directory need
exist only under the generic format.
- images, for image input files, such as Encapsulated PostScript figures. Although it
is somewhat non-intuitive for these to be under a directory named ¡°tex¡±, TEX needs
to read these files to glean bounding box or other information. A mechanism for
sharing image inputs between TEX and other typesetting programs (e.g., Interleaf,
FrameMaker) is beyond the scope of the TDS. In most situations, this directory need
exist only under the generic format.
- local, for local additions and configuration files. See Section 2.3.
- misc, for packages that consist of a single file. An administrator or package maintainer
may create directories for single-file packages at their discretion,
instead of using misc.

And _I_ will strongly advocate to even remove the fact that it depends
whether the format consists of 1 or several files (because you don't
know about the future).

Fabrice