[tex-live] Build issues: GNU make is a requirement

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 22 22:28:24 CEST 2004

Sebastian Rahtz writes:
> Olaf Weber wrote:

>> Building on IRIX outside the source tree I get all kinds of weird
>> failures if I try to use either 'make' or 'smake'.  For better or
>> worse, it looks like TeX-live effectively requires GNU make to
>> build.

> I am not surprised. Does it really matter? is it worth working around?
> I'd say not.

As a general rule, I do not want to depend on the GNU-specific
versions of tools to be able to build stuff (like GNU m4, GNU sed,
bash, etc...).

However, I make an exception for GNU make because working around all
variations of brokeness in all variations of make in all variations of
building source to just too much.

--
Olaf Weber