[tex-live] Build issues: 'm4 -P' is a GNUism

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Tue Jun 22 20:15:08 CEST 2004

Hi Olaf,

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Olaf Weber wrote:

> In source.development/TeX/texk/web2c/man/Makefile.in 'm4 -P' is used.
> However, this option is only supported by GNU m4.  This breaks (for
> example) IRIX builds if GNU m4 isn't first in the path.
>
> pdftex.man : pdftexman.m4
>         m4 -P -DOLD $(srcdir)/pdftexman.m4 > pdftex.man
> pdfetex.man : pdftexman.m4
>         m4 -P $(srcdir)/pdftexman.m4 > pdfetex.man

oops, sorry didn't know that. Simple solution is to use either your
pdf(e)tex.min or pregenerated pdf(e)tex.man delivered together with the
.m4 source. But the .man is already outdated e. g. regarding .efmt, and
pdfetex.man should mention also Petr Olsak. What would you prefer:
Either use yours, or I would try (this week) to combine your with my
cruft :-) version? (just to avoid double work)

Best Regards

Hartmut