[tex-live] Updating packages over the internet a la MiKTeX

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 00:50:33 CEST 2004

gerben wierda wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2004, at 3:12 PM, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>
> > we had a suggestion from christian, while we were in darmstadt, that we
> > consider a programmable front end for ctan.  i see no difficulty in
> > principle in creating a soap service that would sit (at least) on the
> > main ctan sites.
>
> If you create a programmable front end does that mean you need to run
> specific software on the server and thus each mirror?

aiui, yes.  just like anything that offers an http service has to run an
http server.

however, without any discussion of what this service is going to do for
us, it's not clear to me what machines it would be _sensible_ to run the
service on.

it's just worth letting your imagination loose on functionality you may
be interested in.  i interpreted christian's request as "let's have a
cleaner protocol to implement than ftp", and i guess we can manage that.
beyond that, i've not really thought (i've been rather distracted with
implementing a new server, and "real" work).

robin