[tex-live] free software, DFSG

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jun 4 15:40:49 CEST 2004

    in "open source" world, but Karl is reminding me that TeX Live is
    actually in "free software" world, and that I am applying the wrong
    criteria.

Are you talking about the (stupid, IMHO) official open source "mark"?
It's true that TeX doesn't have that, of course.

My belief is that "open source" and "free software" emphasize two very
different things, but are very close to accepting the same set of
licenses.  Open source is, I guess, a mild superset:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Anyway, all that's an aside.

    So shall we just put in OFS after all?

I say yes.

    PS if I was a dictator, I'd like to throw out all the LaTeX packages
    called "somethingX" or "newX",

That wouldn't be benevolent :).

(I know what you mean -- but hey, that's the price we pay for having a
"community" that is really thousands of individuals just trying to get
their jobs done ...)