[tex-live] fwd: \delta in overfull \hboxes screws up xterm

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jul 15 02:06:16 CEST 2004

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

>     karl> Do any *languages* need codes <32 printable?
>     wl> Vietnamese (both VSCII and VISCII encoding, IIRC).
>
> Oh, well, then it's hopeless.
>
>    hans> only terminal then, not files!
>    dak> I really think that there should be no difference between log and
>    dak> terminal output.
>
> Oh, well, then it's even more hopeless.
>

> Guys, these are logically inconsistent requirements.  I see
> everyone's point and don't think anyone is "wrong" ... but we can't
> make TL fulfill all of this (by default).

I guess I'll have to make do with giving up on sensible behavior and
instead do some sort of fuzzy matching on error messages containing
^^.

Of course, it will fail on ^ followed by a control character, since
TeX has ^^^ as a legal output possibility.

It has been an uphill battle all the way to butcher TeX
implementations and locales into putting out ü as ü on the terminal.
I'll probably notify all other Emacs package authors interacting with
the location mechanism of AUCTeX that they can kiss the previous
interfaces goodbye.