[tex-live] fwd: \delta in overfull \hboxes screws up xterm

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jul 14 09:12:50 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 05:23:03 +0200, Thomas wrote:

> Please, have a look at the forwarded mail. Paul Vojta shows a problem
> with the "all characters printable" setting.  When replying, please
> consider that Paul did not follow the discussion in may/june on the
> texlive list about this neverending story...

Neither was I, and the archive for TeXlive seems to be broken so I cannot
read back the old discussion. But luckily that doesn't stop me from having
a say about it :)

TeX's behaviour in this situation is, IMO, broken, and I would personally
prefer fixing TeX, instead of disabling 8bit :

The user *did not* input the character corresponding to ^^J, but the 6 characters
comprising the string "\delta". The fact that someone \mathcode-ed the character
^^J to mean the same thing as the \mathchardef named \delta should not have
an effect on the printing of the control sequence "\delta".

--
groeten,

Taco