[tex-live] --with-etex, --without-etex, --with-pdftex, --without-pdftex ?

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 4 00:30:12 CEST 2004

Olaf Weber writes:
> Thomas Esser writes:

>>> I noticed this because the Makefiles are broken in some fashion: with

>> Something that you might want to fix? :-)

> Yeah.  :-P

My preferred way of working here (and for pdftex, omega, ...) is that
we have general rules which depend on specific rules, and
conditionally enable/disable that dependency, as opposed to disabling
the actions within a rule.

For example, I prefer this:

install-data:: @ETEX@ install-etex-data
install-etex-data:: $(texpooldir) etex.pool
	$(INSTALL_DATA) etex.pool $(texpooldir)/etex.pool

over this:

install-data:: install-pdftex-data
install-pdftex-data:: $(texpooldir)
@PTEX@	$(INSTALL_DATA) pdftex.pool $(texpooldir)/pdftex.pool

One reason why I prefer this is that with a disabled automatic build
and installation, you can still use the specific rules to build and
install, without having to re-run configure (which on some platforms
is a slow and sometimes tricky process).

--
Olaf Weber