[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] TeX finding filenames with spaces

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Wed Jan 14 13:55:30 CET 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Martin Schröder wrote:

> On 2004-01-13 12:01:24 -0400, George N. White III wrote:
> > pdf[e]tex already has dvi support.  The bigger issue to me is that
> > pdftex is linked to additional libraries (zlib, libpng, etc. needed
> > to support images) and in the past has broken when these libraries
> > were changed (e.g., to fix bugs affecting security).  I hope a
>
> The problems have been (if at all) pre2003. The currently
> distributed binaries are not dynamically linked against different
> libraries than tex.

Static linking is not a good solution, and becomes less so as you increase
the number of image formats supported.  It would be better it pdftex could
be used without the image format libraries, but support a mechanism for
adding image manipulations without recompiles for those who insist on
the ability to place images.

Are the various linux distro's self-contained (redhat, fedora, mdk,
debian, SUSE, SGI Freeware, etc.)?  I know from sad experience that the
SGI freeware distro, put together from teTeX-2.02 by volunteers, has an
enormous set of dependencies, including many libraries as well as
standalone utilities.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
  Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada