[tex-live] Re: [tex-k] TeX finding filenames with spaces

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Jan 12 17:31:25 CET 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 17:14, Olaf Weber wrote:

> Fabrice Popineau writes:

>>> I think nowadays it is a must.  With Gnome and KDE getting popular
>>> people are getting used to spaces in file names even on Unices.
>
>> In this case, I would be glad that Unix people have a look at the
>> patch
>> in the texk/web2c/tex-supp-w32.ch file in the texlive source tree. It
>> implements this support for filenames with spaces using the same
>> method
>> as MiKTeX does (or close to it). I would like to see that not being
>> system dependent anymore.
>
> Can we afford for it to be always on (triptest/spirit-of-license-wise)?

As far as the test goes, only when it actually tests for space in a
file name and barfs, it will fail. license, no comment, but somehow
such complete rigidity does not appeal to my senses. The computing
world has changed since 1978 and if you force yourself to stay at that
point in all ways, you actually actively are helping TeX in its grave.