[tex-live] Re: Berlios

Baden Hughes badenh at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu Jan 8 01:53:18 CET 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Karl Berry wrote:

>     how about compile farms?
>
> Not that I see :(.  I think maybe only sourceforge provides that.

Yes, the compile farm is apparently only offered by SourceForge (although
project specific, I'm also involved in the Samba one and its much more extensive).

A quick comparison on the compile farm from for SourceForge and the
current binaries released for TeXLive2003 is as follows:

TeXLive2003
===========
i386-linux (i386 Linux)
powerpc-darwin6.3 (MacOSX)
win32 (32-bit Windows, i.e., 9X and later)
alpha-linux (HP Alpha Linux)
i386-freebsd (i386 FreeBSD)
i386-openbsd (i386 OpenBSD)
i386-solaris (Sun i386 Solaris)
mips-irix (SGI IRIX)
powerpc-aix (IBM RS/6000 AIX)
sparc-solaris (Sun Sparc Solaris)
sparc64-linux (Sparc Linux)

SourceForge Compile Farm
========================

opteron64-linux (AMD64 AMD 64-bit Opteron Linux 2.4 SuSE 8 ES)
powerpc-darwin (PowerPC Apple Mac G4 Mac OS X Mac OS X Server Edition with
Fink)
i386-linux (x86 dual Intel Pentium III Linux 2.4 Red Hat Linux 7.3)
i386-linux (x86 dual Intel Pentium III Linux 2.2 Debian GNU/Linux 2.2)
alpha-linux (Alpha DEC Alpha EV67 Linux 2.2 Debian GNU/Linux 3.0)
sparc64-linux (Sparc64 Sun Ultra 60 Linux 2.4 Debian GNU/Linux 3.0)
sparc-solaris (Sparc Sun Ultra Enterprise R220 Solaris Sun Solaris 8)
strongarm-linux (StrongARM CerfCube SA1110 Linux 2.4 Debian GNU/Linux 3.0)

In other words, the SourceForge compile far would meet only some of the
binary requirements for the current TL2003. While this would be
convenient, it doesn't solve the requirement to ship binaries for quite a
range of platforms we already have some arrangements for.

(BTW: I volunteer to keep a track of binaries for TL2004, hence
my interest in working out which facilities are available)

Baden