[tex-live] Using Jigdo as a downloader

Steve Schnepp snide at free.fr
Mon Jan 5 14:21:11 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:31:57AM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> > CTAN is available via rsync(1). _Much_ better than mirror(1).
> rsync is indeed great (although in the case of ctan i wonder what will
> happen if many user start syncing using checksum calculations)

Doesn't it put a _big_ I/O & CPU load on the server ?
And are the file updated or are new files either put on another dir or
in the same dir but with a new name ?

In the latter case (files are not updated), mirror(1) can also do the
trick. Since AFAIK i don't think rsync can correctly handle a renamed
file.

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:29:01PM +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> I don't throw away any files from CTAN. but I often have to rearrange
> directory tree

So, i think it may be possible... So, enough things said: I'll try to do
it ;-)

> if you grab a copy of perforce client from www.perforce.com and point
> it at sun.dante.de:1666, you can keep in sync any time

Actually, i'll try to jigdo-ize the TL2003-inst.iso, and I'll see if
it's do-able and if it's interesting.

	Steve

--
GPG public key available from http://snide.free.fr/gpg/snide.free.fr.asc