[tex-live] Re: tex *live* packages [was: .. acronym package missing doc]

Jim Hefferon ftpmaint at alan.smcvt.edu
Fri Feb 13 16:30:36 CET 2004

Sebastian, others,

   we should have a single source of metadata which we all update

That is not clear to me.  For instance, I understand the contention among
CTAN maintainers that there is not time to maintain a list of files, as
you have in your metadata.  (For instance, what to do about moving material?)
Further, other distributions might have other file lists, or other flags.
The other side of the coin is that I am interested in some metadata
(my by-function hobby horse) that you are not interested in.

It instead seems to me that there should be a central source of what I call
"summary" information, mostly Graham's work.  That should be maintained
mostly by authors when they upload.

I have my current version of metadata, which would be a source of summary
material in my (current) plan at
  ftp://joshua.smcvt.edu/pub/ctan
Is there anything not there that is needed by everyone?  Or am I missing
some other point?

Jim