[tex-live] texlive 2003 -- acronym package missing doc

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri Feb 13 05:09:22 CET 2004

> Maybe we can start creating a "repository of Makefiles" even for those
> packages which do/will not include those makefiles.

That's exactly what I have in my texmfsrc tarball. To avoid packages
which already have Makefile's, I have given my Makefiles that name
Makefile.tetex. Today, I can count 130 of them.

I have the targets:
  update	update the directory from my local CTAN mirror on disk
  unpack	run the .ins files
  doc		process the documentation
  install	install into my "master" texmf tree
  clean		remove anything that does not belong to the package

> "Only" a few hundred of such Makefiles will solve the issue in
> full. One needs to go through the CTAN packages present on texlive,
> study it's installation instructions, and create a Makefile.
>
> As far as I remember, Thomas already has something like that for
> packages present in teTeX.

Right.

On the other hand, I think that the information contained in these
Makefiles should better be written in a more abstact way. Then, the
TeX community (or someone sponsored by some TeX user group) could write
a tool that processes the metata. This tool should take the following
into account:
  - tex distribution specifics (for comamnd names, location of target
    directories, etc.)
  - user preferences

Thomas