[tex-live] Re: Bizarre perforce situation

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Feb 8 21:55:19 CET 2004

On Feb 8, 2004, at 18:41, Olaf Weber wrote:

> Something else is missing as well: TEXMFDIST must be added to
> SYSTEXMF.  Arguably, using VARTEXMF instead of TEXMFMAIN to store
> formats is better.  Arguably, it is not, if you consider VARTEXMF to
> be volatile in the sense of "delete-when-convenient".

If VARTEXMF is delete-when-convenient, then maybe TEXMFLOCAL is the
preferred place for formats and stuff
(do-not-delete-or-risk-ruining-your-working-TeX). I currently have set
VARTEXMF to TEXMFLOCAL but generated fonts and stuff still go to
/var/tmp/texfonts because that depends on VARTEXFONTS. So, as i have
set it up, the distributed trees (TEXMFMAIN, TEXMFDIST) are 'read-only'
(which I like from a distribution and maintenance support point of
view), TEXMFLOCAL is read-write and contains formats and added stuff
(do not delete) and VARTEXFONTS contains generated and easily to
recreate stuff.