[tex-live] pdftex problem with current p4 depot texconfig

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Sun Feb 8 14:00:31 CET 2004

> >We have .cf, .cfg, etc Why, if we are cleaning up, don't we use the
> >.config extension for any config file and contact all the people who use
> >the other extensions with a request for change and unification?

guessing the search path by the extension will not become easier if all
programs use ".config" for their config files. I mean, we have to search
graphics.cfg along $TEXINPUTS and pdftex.cfg along $PDFTEXCONFIG.

There is little we can gain by putting up a requirement for a unique
extension for "config files". On the other hand, such a move has the
potential of *big trouble* because it is a big change.

> as well as move the cfg into the texmf.cfg if possible (for instance for
> programs in the tex suite that use kpse)

That should be discussed with Olaf. I doubt that he'd like that.

Thomas