[tex-live] Re: Bizarre perforce situation

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Feb 7 13:23:01 CET 2004

On Feb 7, 2004, at 1:14 PM, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Gerben Wierda wrote:
>

>> This kind of a split makes Master independent from Build. The only
>> thing needed to make it work is a reorganisation of texmf.cnf, and
>> since we are doing that now anyway, this is the perfect moment to
>> create Build/Master independence as far as Master parts are oncerned
>> that are generated from Build by a make install.
>
> yes, lets do it. have you got a concrete plan we can implement?

Yes:

1. Run a make install in Build into a separate location
2. Take whatever is in that location's texmf tree (like texmf.cnf) and
remove these from Master
3. Rename the texmf tree that is master from texmf to texmf-texlive
4. Keep the texmf name for the texmf tree generated by Build's make
install
5. Change texmf.in so that the outcome is *like* this (without the
share for you still I think though I would love teTeX and TL to be
equal here)

% TEXMFMAIN contains the TEXMF tree installed by make install of the
programs
TEXMFMAIN = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf
% TEXMFTE contains the main TEXMF tree from teTeX
TEXMFTL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf-texlive
% TEXMFLOCAL contains any local system TeXadmin overrides
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/share/texmf-local
% $VARTEXMF is where texconfig writes its local settings
VARTEXMF = $TEXMFLOCAL
% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/Library/texmf

% Our complete search path, the last three are searched through
% ls-R exclusively, which means that you have to run texhash
% after you have added, moved or deleted files in the tree
TEXMF={$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFTL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

etc.