[tex-live] Bizarre perforce situation

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Feb 6 23:41:56 CET 2004

My Mac OS X redistribution is based on TL and to be sure that I get the
same stuff when I rebuild, I use a date spec for p4 sync.

My last stable date according to my makefile is source
@2004/01/06:07:00:00 and I have worked for a while with that release
without problems. The pdftex of that release used to be 3.141592-1.11a.
I can be mistaken, but this is what I think.

Now the bizarre thing. When I currently do the p4 sync I get
3.141592-1.11b. And this 1.11b version is incompatible with the texmf
tree that make install from TL produces. That texmf.cnf has

PDFTEXCONFIG = .;$TEXMF/pdftex/{$progname,}//

And my pdftex.cfg is in

$TEXMF/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg

But a texconfig -localsetup fails to locate pdftex.cfg and starts a
dialog  telling me so.

Now the weird thing is that this should work. After all, the texmf.cnf
and pdftex are from the same release. But it doesn't.