[tex-live] map, enc and bugs.html

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Fri Feb 6 19:45:15 CET 2004

Dear Petr,

>     There exist books and documentation about
>     "how to install your private font" which will be not removed from
>     Internet during a while. The books will be not destroyed.

Yes, and if they are properly written, they will tell the user to put
the files into directories where his system searches for them and ideally
contain a reference to the TDS document and to the local documentation.

The TDS has changed a year ago and if we keep the paths compatible to the
old locations (for another year, we already have done this in TL 2003),
people will not adopt to it. And we will have more and more people who
have trouble with wrong files found, because the search paths are set
up to look at various places.

>     The packages will be still exist on the Internet with the old
>     map files places. Only one example from many others:

Ok, this is a direct consequence from the TDS change. It is a pity that
there is no common installation procedure for all systems in an abstract
way. Packages that contain a TDS structure lack an abstraction level.

>     to new place then this package will be incompatible with old TeX
>     systems. Need we two variants of slido.tgz packages?

slido-tds-0.9995.tgz and slido-tds-1.0.tgz, maybe? Or, like Walter has
done it with CTAN:macros/latex/required/psnfss: he has unboundled the
map files from his zip's.

Thomas