[tex-live] pdfxmltex solaris crash

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Dec 19 02:26:41 CET 2004

Rob -- no explicit fix yet for the pdfxmltex crash on sparc-solaris, but
the following may be a workaround, if you just want to get on with life
while we debug this painful problem.

0) set PATH=/your/texmf/bin/sparc-solaris2.7:$PATH (as usual).

1) edit line 2366 of /your/texmf/texmf-dist/tex/xmltex/base/xmltex.tex.
Old: \gdef\XML at tempc{pdfxmltex}
New: \gdef\XML at tempc{texput}

2) run from cmdline (not in the bin/sparc-solaris2.7 directory):
pdfetex -ini  -jobname=pdfxmltex -progname=pdfxmltex \&pdflatex
This is pdfeTeXk, ...
... more messages ...
*

3) At the * prompt, type this:
\input pdfxmltex.ini
... lots of messages, dumping on texput.fmt, etc....

4) Install format file:
mv texput.fmt /your/texmf/texmf-var/web2c/pdfxmltex.fmt
mktexlsr /home/karl/tex/try/texmf-var

Now you should be able to run ./pdfxmltex as you would have if the
normal format creation had worked.  I don't know how to actually do
anything with pdfxmltex, or have any sample input files, so I can't say
if it really works.  It does load the format ok on my sparc, that's all
I know.

It's something about specifying the filename (pdfxmltex.ini) on the
command line that causes the crash.  It also happens with xmltex, BTW.

HTH,
karl