[tex-live] running programs from texlive tlc2

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Dec 9 16:12:15 CET 2004

David Kastrup wrote:
> Well, a few things I could imagine:
>
> a) different executables: one version eTeX-based, one version
>    TeX-based, and the latter uses slower code.
> b) Heavily I/O bound operations, like writing temporary data out to a
>    file on a per-line or per-character base and immediately reading it
>    back in again.  Probably avoidable with eTeX's token reparsing
>    operations.
> c) The same in connection with a defective operation of the file name
>    data base.

d) A slightly different texmf.cnf with different values for memory sizes,
   combined with a lot of node-creating & destroying processes

e) a dos-extended executable in a command-line NT shell sometimes created
  huge I/O timeouts under Win

f) A big chunk of spyware running in the windows' background, or another
  resident program that intercept I/O calls.

g) A badly configured windows network, similarly resulting in I/O problems

h) A fixed-size, but too small, Windows swap file

i) Too much actual RAM for the combination of MoBo/Windows

etc. There are quite a lot of possibilities, but most of the later ones
indicate problems with the Windows installation (meaning it'll be slow in
other programs as well),.

Greetings, Taco