[tex-live] Re: incremental pdf

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Tue Aug 3 00:29:16 CEST 2004

> > However, I never understood why pdftex was written, rather
> > than a dvi to pdf translator.
>
> I don't know about others but before I switched to pdftex and was
> generating DVI files and then converting them to PDF (via PS) the result
> was: a) too big, b) some typesetting was done incorrectly, c) some
> PDF features were not available.

dvipdfmx is a very find piece of software.  Give it a try.  Currently,
if you process a CJK file with pdftex and dvipdfmx, the file created
by pdftex is three times(!) bigger in average.  It also has built-in
Unicode cmap support (for both one-byte and two-byte encodings) which
is still very tedious to get with pdftex.

    Werner