[tex-live] Re: Need some help with utopia mapping/locations(?) problem (updmap)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Sep 28 22:32:46 CEST 2003

On Sep 28, 2003, at 8:26 PM, Thomas Esser wrote:

>> TEXPSHEADERS =
>> .;$TEXMF/{{dvips,fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//
>>
>> I think so. So what happens is that updmap has begun writing in a new
>> location, but that existing files in previous locations (dvips) will
>> be
>> found first. Am I correct? Yes I am, and the funny thing is that what
>> it finds is the one in the distributed main tree and not in
>> texmf.local:
>
> The old place has a higher precedence than the new one. I think that
> you should either change the precedence or make sure that the old files
> are removed.

The old are in the current teTeX-texmf which I use as a basis, so
removal is not my first option. I rather not mess around with your
stuff.

I would like to suggest a change for TeX Live & teTeX. Give the new
location a precedence higher than the old. This is common sense. What
is available in an old location is than a fall back for the absence of
something that has been created in the new location. But if it is
created in the new location this takes precedence. The current setting
means that old has a higher precedence than new, and that is the wrong
way around. The new setup should supercede the old if it is available.

Apart from that, I have been wrestling with this to get it working at
all. But it does not help when I change it to

TEXPSHEADERS
=.;$TEXMF/{{fonts/{map,enc}/{dvips,}},dvips,pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//

The pdftex.map in /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map is still
not found first

hermione-a:~ gerben$ kpsewhich pdftex.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/dvips/config/pdftex.map
hermione-a:~ gerben$ ls
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map

hermione-a:~/tmp gerben$ kpsewhich --expand-var='$TEXPSHEADERS'
.:{/Users/gerben/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,!!/
usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}/{{fonts/{map,enc}/
{dvips,}},dvips,pdftex,tex,fonts/type1}//

I keep getting the same problem. There must be something I am missing
here.