[tex-live] cp8bit and old bugs

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Thu Sep 18 07:46:33 CEST 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> > as you can see in the log files, 2) reads cp8bit (by default), but
> > only run 1) seems to be OK.
>
> No. Both are OK and it is expected that \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> converts all accented chars into LaTeX internal encoding, which does not
> use any 8-bit chars afterwards.

Pardon, but I'm still messed. For what reason reading cp8bit by default
was included? Only for messages and log? For \write it doesn't work
for most latex users.
So to conclude:
1. Karl has just included such change into TL doc:
+\item \TeX{}, \MF{}, and \MP{} now output 8-bit input
+      characters as themselves in output (e.g., \verb|\write|) files,
                                                       ========
+      log files, and the terminal, i.e., \emph{not} translated using the

It is not true when using inputenc.

2. Daniel Flipo reported the problem with french lshort, but it is still
not resolved. Daniel, just use il1-t1.tcx and forget using inputenc ;-}

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl