[tex-live] Technical showstoppers for TL2003

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau at supelec.fr
Sat Sep 13 22:30:46 CEST 2003

> I hope that TeX in TL2003 is no more dependent on locale (which would
> be nonsense from the document portability point of view), and by

Sure. It depends on it only for output to the terminal (and log file?)

> default uses the ^^ notation to output 8-bit chars, allowing to change
> this with the (non-standard) --translate-file option.

This is where I do not agree. TeX being 8-bit 'clean', it should allow
to read/write unsigned chars.

And there is   an  easy fix  to achieve    this.  If  you look at    the
setupcharset  function in  texmfmp.c, we could just say that if no
translate_filename has been specified, we use cp8bit.tcx .

The second part has been disabled on purpose, because it initialized the
isprintable[] array on the locale basis (which is wrong).

Fabrice