[tex-live] bibtex8

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Oct 8 19:26:27 CEST 2003

    I would prefer to patch texmf.cnf along the lines I posted.

Ok, sounds good.  Kaja or I will adjust bugs.html and the tar file.

    I kept my patch about not considering file suffixes when the name
    requested has already one because it makes sense.

Not always.  If there are files a.b and a.b.tex, then don't you want tex
to read a.b.tex?  That's why I programmed it that way in the first
place, after years of horrible confusion about the rules.  In
retrospect, the whole idea of adding default suffixes is probably not
the right thing to do.

Anyway, forget that, it doesn't matter now.  What's matters is either
getting bibtex8 fixed or getting kpathsea fixed so it works again.  Or
dropping bibtex8, as Hans suggested.  I really don't care which, myself,
and I can't offer to do the programming :(.