[tex-live] TL production

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Sat Mar 15 10:32:09 CET 2003

I would like to know which decission was really accepted for the TL8 release:
1. DVD (full, unpacked TL+CTAN);
2. one TL CD ROM with all things compressed;
3. both 1. and 2. distributed in one cover.

I investigated personally many people and also GUST mailing list,
and the resulting opinions was:
1. DVD equiped machines are very rare yet;
2. CD as only instalable medium is hardly acceptable as `live' release:
  a) running directly off the CD is quite impossible (we forgot the fact,
     that TL CD can be also mounted and sourced temporarily for the
     already existing installation),
  b) finding/browsing particular macro file or documentation is heavy.
     Many users liked that feature.
I cannot ignore such opinions, and as I always try to see BLU's view,
instead of the Vizzard's one, I'd like to know the opinions from other
LUG members. Have they also been investigated in that regard?

Of course, I can prepare the special release for Polish users, according
to their wishes, but I'd heartly like to avoid doing something different
to the rest of the world.

Just a question: beeing under stress to make the CD `unpacked'
and really `live',  I can only leave win32 and linux binaries as the most
frequent systems here (there are only few mac osx users ;-().
Can the rest fit for 1 CD? How can I count/test the whole stuff to fit
on 1 CD?

The worst variant is to zap texmf/source/ which, in fact, is much bigger
then working texmf/tex/ :-} Would it be acceptable from `political
correctness' point of view? I know that such big change needs remaking
tpm and list files.

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl