[tex-live] .map and .enc files changes

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Sat Mar 8 05:33:54 CET 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> > 2. added ready made by updmap texmf/dvips/config/*.map files, (#2954)
> >    I think that such files should be always regenerated on Master
>
> this is not such a good idea; those map files
> should really be in VARTEXMF, ie local. Even if you
> run off the CD, you should still run a local setup
> and create VARTEXMF for .fmt, .map etc

I cannot agree. Those map files cannot hurt in TEXMFMAIN, even
if somebody uses VARTEXMF for run off the CD. But... TL can be also
runable without VARTEXMF ;-)

Example for linux user:
export PATH=/mnt/cdrom/bin/i386-linux:$PATH
export TEXMFCNF=/mnt/cdrom/texmf/web2c
export TEXMF=/mnt/cdrom/texmf
[pdf]tex -ini [pdf]latex.ini

and you can compile your file in the current directory. That's all
needed for a quick test, presentation and so on.
Having ready psfonts.map file, etc. is important!

For win32 I use very simple batch file, which also works:

@echo off
:: Run: tlcd e latex
:: where %1 - CD ROM drive letter; %2 - format to be made
set PATH=%1:\BIN\WIN32;%PATH%
set TEXMFCNF=%1:/texmf/web2c
:: we use only one TeX tree
set TEXMF=!!%1:/texmf
@echo Variable check
kpsewhich --expand-var=$TEXMF
kpsewhich --expand-var=$TEXMFCNF
kpsewhich texmf.cnf
@echo Now we'll make the local format file: %2
@echo Press any key, or Ctrl-C to abort
pause >nul
tex -ini %2.ini
:: or
REM pdftex -ini %2.ini
@echo READY! Happy TeX-ing!

For win32 users we have now 3 ways for running off the CD:
1. Fabrice's texlive.exe menu item which installs winshell TeX editor,
   temporary VARTEXMF, etc., but working only within winshell session (BLU);
2. my mkloctex.bat which makes VARTEXMF and asks the user for making
   some changes in the environment (BLU+).
3. the above (BLU++ turbo ;-)

Why not giving the users such freedom...

---
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl