[tex-live] tl home page

Karl Berry karl at tug.org
Sat Feb 22 19:24:51 CET 2003

I just did some general editing on http://tug.org/texlive/.  I was
inspired to do this because Robin (Laakso, the TUG office mgr) has been
contacting assorted publishers to see if they'd like to distribute TL
with TeX books that they publish.  (TUG would provide the cd's at cost
if desired.)  There has been some decent interest, and I thought going
over the home page would be helpful.  I tried to make it a little less
of an advertisement for TUG :).

I also put in a warning about TL maybe not being "live" on cd for this
year, just to see if anyone notices.

One question - the second paragraph (now) says:

  TeX Live has been developed since 1996 by collaboration between the TeX
  Users Group and the TeX user groups of the Czech Republic, France,
  Germany, India, Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia and the UK.

Would it be fair to say instead:

  TeX Live has been developed since 1996 by collaboration between
  virtually all <a href="/lugs.html">TeX user groups</a>.

instead of trying to list them all individually?  If people prefer to
write them all out explicitly, it's ok with me.  I'm just worried some
are missing.

Another question - any reason not to make the live sources
(/home/tlprod/Master) available for reading?  (That is, anon ftp/http.)
Heck, or just /home/tlprod in general, why bother singling out subdirs?

Thanks,
karl