[tex-live] compressed CD snapshot

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 09:14:10 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 05:18, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:
> 1. browsing the CD is now lost;
agreed. but we said that anyone who wanted to make a demo/browse CD
could do so automatically

> 2. running from the CD is rather impossible now (but worked quite
>    perfectly, even on win32, for quick presentation, etc.); even having
>    a look at ls-R on the CD could help finding something urgently needed;
>    so we have now rather '\TeX{} $<$ Live';
you can look at the tpm files

> 3. if we stay with the CD as only installation medium, why not using just zip:
>    a) bzip2 is _slow_ (extremelly on Win32, and on not so fast machines),
>    b) uncompressing needs 2 programs: bzip2 and tar,
>    c) zip _can_ contain soft links, and of course the whole tree, and can
>       be uncompressed in just one pass;

bzip2 is the politically correct choice, I thought? I just follow
others advice that bzip2 is the most efficient. its much more natural
to me than zip, which is why I did it.

>    d) it would be much easier for Fabrice to implement;
not true, actually

>    e) browsing the contents of a package, and the contents of specified file
>       is easier (windows users have several programs to do it, the same
>       can be done on linux and I hope also on other *ix);
the same applies to .tar.bz2, surely?

>    f) zip/unzip is free and much more popular on every platform than bzip2.

so are hamburgers :-}

> snapshot from Feb 17 is about 500MB, but it contains some 43MB garbage
> in /source/ so using zip can also fit on 700MB CD.

its true, we could use zip. I dont mind either way

what do others think?

> Compiling from the Feb 17 TL sources on Linux crashed here for the first
> time (but teTeX 2.0.1 compilation was OK):
>
> making all in utils/texinfo
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/source/TeX/utils/texinfo'
> cd . && /bin/sh /usr/local/src/source/TeX/utils/texinfo/missing --run aclocal-1.7 -I m4
> /usr/local/src/source/TeX/utils/texinfo/missing: aclocal-1.7: command not found

yes will fix that later today

--
Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
OUCS