[tex-live] texlive 8

Petr Olsak olsak at math.feld.cvut.cz
Thu Feb 6 09:01:19 CET 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Volker RW Schaa wrote:

> So this year we are trying a different approach. The offer (by
> Lehmanns) is to produce a set consisting of
>   2 CDs -- standard TeXLive like last year's edition,
>   1 DVD -- TeXLive with all binaries/source/etc., maybe/if possible
>                    with an extended texmf-tree (additional stuff,
>                    that doesn't fit on the above CDs)
>         -- CTAN as it is
> [packaging: digifile package in colour,
>   price:     for the LUGs this set will be 2$ or 1.95 Euro]
> So there is a total of 2 x 700 MB + 4.3 GB of space.
> CTAN last year took 2.6 GB, so TeXLive can use 1.7 GB.
> The reason for a second TeXLive CD in this set is just psychological
> (Kaeder: people without DVD player buying this set have a better
> feeling if they get 2 CDs, even if they only could use one of them).

You are wrong. The CSTUG is a contra-example.
We discussed the offer of 2CD set of TL7 from Lehmanns
in our CSTUG-board in 2002 and we decided that the second CD is totally
unusable for 99% of our members. The rest 1% members are able to get the
CD image from Internet. Lehmanns rejected our request of sending only the
first CD. Our decision was: we did not order the 2CD sets from Lehmanns
but we did burn the first CD ourself and we sent only this first CD to our

Petr Olsak
president of CSTUG

More information about the tex-live mailing list