[tex-live] Strange install problem.

Geoff Russell geoff at austrics.com.au
Mon Dec 8 03:01:03 CET 2003

Hi

I'm having trouble installing TeX-live on my Mandrake 9.1 (Professional)
Linux distro. I've installed it without hassle on 1) Mandrake 9.1 (Personal),
2) RedHat 9.0, and a 3) Solaris-386 machine.

The install proceeds normally but fails to make any formats because it
can't find "omxcmex.fd". If I do a "find" command, this file
exists in texmf/tex/latex/base and I can "vi" it --- looks
fine. But if I "cd texmf/tex/latex/base" and do an "ls" then it doesn't
appear in the file list (all the other files do). [Hence mktexlsr doesn't
put it in the database and kpsewhich can't find it and the format build
fails].

My first thought was a bad disk. So I tried to install onto a different
IDE drive, and got EXACTLY the same problem. So I switched from
the DVD to the CD inst and got EXACTLY the same problem. So I tried
the other 3 installs mentioned above - perfect.

I'm stumped. Any ideas on what to try next will be appreciated, I
don't really think the problem is in TeX-Live, but am fresh out of ideas
to try!

Cheers,
Geoff Russell

6 Fifth Ave           +618-8332-5069 (Home)          |
St Morris SA 5068     +618-8207-2029 (Work)          | geoff at austrics.com.au
Adelaide, AUSTRALIA   +618-8364-1543 (Fax-Home)      |