[tex-live] charter copyright

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Sun Aug 3 21:50:19 CEST 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:59:14 +0200 (CEST), Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

>texmf/doc/fonts/charter/readme.charter
>is sufficient, I guess. By the way we can read here:
>
> TeX metrics, virtual fonts and LaTeX font definition files can be found
> in the archive CTAN:fonts/metrics/freenfss.zip
>
>which cannot be found on CTAN (see below 1. for the source of that file).

The real file is <CTAN:macros/latex/required/psnfss/freenfss.zip>,
which should be mirrored in the CTAN directory fonts/psfonts.
This directory is also known as font/metrics.

>> By the way there are kerning-pairs bugs in charter fonts
>> KPX L quoteright -241
>> -241 is very too much !
>> That make charter unusable in french...

>Walter? It is perhaps your turn, as it as well concerned psnfss.

Yes, I do intend to improve the Charter metrics,
but I cannot do everything at once.  Period.

>As I found, we have still a mess with charter:

Huh?

>1. CTAN:/fonts/charter/

These are the real Type1 fonts; that's why they reside in the
CTAN direcrory fonts/.  They are in no way TeX-specific.

>2. CTAN:/fonts/psfonts/bitstrea/charter/

I'm sorry; this should have been deleted already.
I will soon take care of it soon.

>3. CTAN:/fonts/psfonts/corelpack/charter/
>(perhaps some more)

Indeed, I consider this as obsolete and not needed.
I dont' know who made the "corelpack", but it is definitely not my
duty to say "hey man, that's bullshit; please remove it from CTAN!".

>4. CTAN:/macros/latex/required/psnfss/

Yes, here are the TeX-specific support files.

>On TL:
>a. fonts/afm/bit/charter/        (from 1., I've just removed it!)
>b. fonts/afm/bitstrea/charter/   (from 2.)
>c. fonts/type1/bitstrea/charter/ (from 1.)
>d. latex support files (tfm, vf fd, sty) - nobody knows from where
>e. dvips/psnfss/charter.map  (just added to p4 depot from 4.)
>
>some stuff belongs to the charter package (afm and pfb), the rest to
>the psnfss package.

The physical fonts and the TeX-specific metrics, VFs, map files etc.
are two different things.  It's up to the TL team to put *both* on
the CD.

> I've corrected tpm files

tpm?  tfm?

>  for charter, psnfss

Huh?
Did you change any files in CTAN:macros/latex/required/psnfss?

>and psafm (?), including proper actions like adding map files to
>updmap.cfg, etc. I think that for future the charter fonts status,
>corrections made in the font files, etc., etc. should be made
>once forever, but in the first place on CTAN. The good example
>is urw on CTAN (but I'm still working on it for TL ;-).

I don't quite understand your suggestions.  The only correction
to be made are the kerning pairs (not only L-quoteright !), but
that may raise compatibility problems, because the line and page
breaks of existing documents may change.

The PSNFSS bundle relies on many different fonts, even on the CM
fonts.  That's why it is not a good idea to make one single bundle,
which comprises both the physical fonts _and_ the support files.
I think that the installation instructions of the PSNFSS bundle
are sufficiently clear, as far as the required fonts are concerned.

best wishes
Walter Schmidt

PS:
I'm sorry for not having replied earlier.
I was in vacation for a few days.

Walter Schmidt                        Nuernberger Strasse 76
<w-a-schmidt at arcor.de>               91052 Erlangen, Germany