[tex-live] TL8 timetable etc.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Apr 15 02:36:58 CEST 2003

Volker asked for sending his notes to the other, so I'm doing now

----
> 1. what Dante members expect for TL8?
I told them that there will be a set with:
   1 DVD   TeXLive8 (fully expanded version with what ever you find worth
                     including)
           CTAN (uncompressed)
   1 CD    TeXLive8 (ready-to-run for Linux, Win, and MacOSX)
   1 CD    TeXLive8 (compressed, with binaries for more operating systems)
So this "set" is decided upon. What you are going to put
on these CDs/DVD is up to you.
The space is 700MB for the CDs and 8GB for the DVD (the
space CTAN takes after reorganisation, who knows ~3GB?).

> 2. proposed deadline
DANTE agreed with Lehmanns that the package should be on
the market in August. The production of CDs/DVD is mainly
set by printing the cover (~2 weeks), pressing is just 2--3
days for 7000 copies.

TUG agreed to get TeXLive8 this year from DANTE/Lehmanns in
the proposed package.

So with the somewhat extended time scale for producing the TL8,
you still have some time. I would select option
  c) delay TeXLive 8 until the new TeX is in
Please tell the other tex-live people about this.

VS
----

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz