[tex-live] Problem with TeXlive compilation

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Apr 14 22:04:04 CEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:33:03AM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > In texlive/source/TeX/utils/texinfo/doc the files stamp-1 and
> > stamp-vti did not have write permissions, and the make command failed
> > on it.
>
> I assume this is because the files are created at compile
> time and so can be junked from the source. Can anyone
> more knowledgeable than me confirm this, before I zap
> the files?

Well, there should be no attempt in writing these files. I guess that
something is wrong with the sources (timestamps, I guess).

Using the original texinfo-4.5, I have tried:
  tar jxvf texinfo-4.5.tar.bz2 -C /build
  chmod -R -w /build/texinfo-4.5
  mkdir -p /build/X
  cd /build/X
  /build/texinfo-4.5/configure --prefix=/tmp/ttt; make
  make install

All went well. No problem about missing write permissions to any file.
And: the original texinfo distribution *does* contain these two files.
So, maybe it should be enough to just "touch" them?

Thomas