[tex-live] how to save 20 mbytes

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
19 Oct 2002 23:59:51 +0200

On 19 Oct 2002  Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 20:38, Janusz S. Bień wrote:
> > On 19 Oct 2002  Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > To get CJK back onto TeX Live, I need to save 20 mbytes.
> > >
> > > can anyone suggest names of redundant packages, preferably
> > > large ones?
> >
> > Can you send the list of packag sizes, or some script to compute it?
>
> attached, if it helps. it just proves what a burden cm-super is...

I guess cm-super makes some other font packages redundant, perhaps `ai'

        The purpose of the AI font distribution is to improve the
        final conversion to Postscript and PDF formats of TeX
        documents which use the standard Computer Modern and AMS
        fonts.

and others, but it is difficult to make sure quickly.

Are the *.tfm files really needed in packages such as eco

        This is a set of font metric files and virtual fonts for using
        the ec fonts with oldstyle numerals.

Anyway the package seems too large relative to its practical value.

Last but not least, I would not hesitate to remove all the packages
related to specific journals, such as

        IEEEtran.cls provides LaTeX formatting for authors of the
        Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
        Transactions Journals.

Regards

Janusz

P.S. Does anybody try to keep track of the total number of copies of
TL7 published by TUG and national groups?

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW