[tex-live] Re: non-free fonts

David Carlisle davidc@nag.co.uk
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:30:32 +0100

   On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 18:25, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
   > On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Karl Berry wrote:
   >
   > > I think whatever Debian does, we should follow, since we say that TL
   > > follows DFSG.  Anything else seems intolerably confusing to me.
   >
   > If it was me, I'd say DFSG with case by case exceptions for 3 (derived
   > works). We are targetting end users with TL, and they usually want
   > features and redistribution freedom, not development freedom.

   Words like "exceptions" and "usually" fill me with horror. I personally
   am only interested in a TeX Live which has no exceptions, and no
   assumptions about its users.

beware that if you take the debian project's interpretation of the DFSG,
insisting on DFSG may well end up with you removing the cm fonts (and
tex and latex) from tex live as well.

See the somewhat depressing threads  on debian-legal such as this one
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/debian-legal-200209/msg00086.html
seriously suggesting to re-implement from scratch some "free"
replacements for cm.

Having said that I agree with Sebastian that having individual
exceptions makes managing the CD as a whole unworkable, I just wonder if
DFSG is an acceptable baseline if they decide latex isn't free.

David