[tex-live] Czech support, ugly but efficient solution

Petr Olsak olsak@math.feld.cvut.cz
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:43:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> Petr Olsak <olsak@math.feld.cvut.cz> wrote:
> Thomas Esser [TE]
> TE>> 1) putting czhyphen.tex somewhere below texmf/tex/generic is wrong if
> TE>>    this file is not really generic.
>
> But czhyphen.tex is in texmf/tex/csplain/ (not below tex/generic)
> and it is OK.
>
> PO> ... We leave these
> PO> files in its historical place: texmf/tex/csplain and remove its
> PO> duplicates: czhyph.tex and skhyph.tex. Only the following change in
> PO> the babel's language.dat should be done:
> PO>
> PO> czhyph.tex -> czhyphen.tex
> PO> skhyph.tex -> skhyphen.tex
>
> Please observe that all hyphenation patterns are in
> texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/ and every file use the short name convention
> (bghyph, plhyph, ukhyph, etc.), so leaving here czhyph.tex would be OK.
> The same convention is used in language.dat.
>
> In my opinion czhyph.tex and skhyph.tex (at current state) can be also
> used for csplain, cslatex, its variants for pdftex, as well for latex+babel.
> Am I right?

Yes, you are right.

I suggested to remove cz[sk]hyph.tex because I have tried to solve the
second problem of cz/sk hyphen patterns: its duplicity in two files
cz[sk]hyphen.tex versus cz[sk]hyph.tex.

The cz[sk]hyphen.tex can't be removed because the csplain is frozen
with all names of used files. There exist many home-made macros which
uses this names.

The solution of this duplicity can be following: leave cz[sk]hyph.tex
files in babel system with only one line inside:

\input czhyphen    or   \input skhyphen .

I don't see the better solution of this problem if you persists on the
short names in babel system. I persist on long names in csplain :-).

Warning: don't replace the cz[sk]hyph.tex files by these one-line
alternatives immediatelly! If you do it, the error in babelised latex
occurs. I will release the new csplain.tar with the corrected
cz[sk]hyphen.tex files which will accept the babelised formats (plain
and latex). You can change cz[sk]hyph.tex files _after_ the new
release of csplain.tar will be included into teTeX. I will plan the
new release during one-two weeks and I will report to Thomas Esser
about it.

> By the way, I found texmf/tex/enctex/ with 3 files.

Oops, I leave these files in my csplain.tar. This is my mistake.
Remove these files (can be done immediatelly). The enctex is only
an optional package, not required by CSTeX. If there exists another way
of re-encoding on TeX input preprocessor level (--transalte-file
option in web2c based TeX distributions, for example), you need not
enctex. I will remove these files in the new release of csplain.tar.

> Even Thomas' idea of plain/language.dat is somehow interesting,
> I'd still vote for tex/pdftex/etex loading generic plain.tex
> I remember TL5 with corrupted format files because of a bug in babel,
> so we need some stable base for testing, developing own macros, etc.
> Introducing pdfbplain would be the solution.

Yes. The actual problem with czhyph.tex is the next example of the
unstability of the babel.

> All the best,
>
> --
> Staszek Wawrykiewicz