[tex-live] Re: Omega 1.15

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh@sharif.edu
Thu, 30 May 2002 01:23:00 +0430 (IRST)

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> moving some things from the top level into TeX, from memory.
> This was Vladimir's doing, he rightly got annoyed with
> some inconsistencies

I hope we can catch that in time. Will things like this be announced on
the mailing list when they get to the 'source'?

> > 1. Checkout: a) Setup cvs, b) Checkout from 'omega.cse.unsw.edu.au',
> >    c) Setup p4, d) Sync with 'texlive.dante.de', e) Copy sources from
> >    TeXLive tree to Omega tree?!
>
> well, put like that it sounds a pain, doesn't it.

I'm trying to put it in some way it won't sound like a pain. I've not
CC-ed the Omega list, you know ;)

> is it that much worse than hacking gnome?

Last time I commited to Gnome, it was very easy. I just checkout out the
module, fixed it, and sent the patch to someone who had commit access. He
committed it. I don't know how it happened for him, but definitely there
was not multiple repositories. Everything related to Gnome is being kept
in a single server.

> > Any better idea?
>
> maintain Omega in TeX Live :-}

That really depends on John, you know. I don't want to lose any
opportunity to help TeX and Unicode come together, and I want to take
things one by one.

BTW, I think for a thing as broken and unstable as Omega, and as far from
its ultimate goal, we need a more rapid development model, many branches,
everything like the common Open Source model. Also, the way John hacks
code, things are usually broken. I want him not to worry about his code
breaking stablity or anything, but just checkin the code so others will be
able to fix it. This will be possible in a Omega-only repository, but not
in a repository under sharp eyes, like TeXLive.

I appreciate any kind of comments, as always.

roozbeh