[tex-live] texlive7 and MacOSX

Michel Bovani michel.bovani@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 20 May 2002 09:54:52 +0200

Le 20/05/02 2:14, « Staszek Wawrykiewicz » <StaW@guests.ipipan.gda.pl> a
écrit :

> On Mon, 20 May 2002, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 18, 2002, at 04:19 , Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
>>> Apple doesn't distribute bash with MacOSX, but I had no difficulty
>>> installing the latest bash version
>>
>> As far as I know, Apple has decided that bash will replace zsh, but that
>> might not happen before the fall.
>>
>> Gerben
>
> I have the following message from Polish testers:
> uname -a
> "Darwin Kernel Version 5.4: Wed Apr 10 09:27:47 PDT 2002;
> root:xnu/xnu-201.19.3.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc"
>
> MacOS 10.1.4, bash (installed from the net) 2.0.5.
> but install-cd.sh didn't detected such system (it was 2 weeks ago,
> perhaps newer script works better).

I asked to Sebastian to add

    'Power Macintosh':Darwin:*:*)
    echo powerpc_darwin${UNAME_RELEASE}
    exit 0 ;;

in the case statement of config.guess. I think it is done.

> As concerned bash, some Macs have already bash, or can take it easilly
> from the net.

I think Sebastian also added the bash executable archive in MACOSX
directory.

> I've heard about installer TexLive for MacOS X:
> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/TeX-fat.dmg (+ TeXLive)

TeX-fat.dmg is too... fat for texlive cd...

> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/volumes/TeX-thin.dmg (only installer)

it is arlready in MACOSX directory. (and seems to be incompatible -- Gerben
do you confirm that? -- with cd install so the user must choose between :

1 install-cd.sh : no need of internet, big texmf tree if needed, darwin5.3
binaries

2 TeX-thin.dmg : download teTeX from Internet, darwin5.4, upgrade ability,
but of course more little texmf tree.

I will submit a readme.mac file explaining that.

Gerben, should it be possible to release 5.4 binaries from TeXlive source ?

> http://www.u-bourgogne.fr/monge/j.laurens/iTeXMac/

A good alternative to TeXshop (already on the cd) But it is 2Mbytes...

--
Michel Bovani