[tex-live] problems with image 20020516 on W2K - still not Live? :-(

Janusz S. Bień jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl
17 May 2002 18:35:46 +0200

On Thu, 16 May 2002  Fabrice Popineau <Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr> wrote:

> * Janusz S Bie <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl> writes:
>
> >> Anyway, the situation is confusing and the message
> >> misleading. Something like "Please point to the location of your
> >> favourite editor" seems better.
>
> > The same for image 20020515.
>
> Unfortunately, Sebastian build the image a few minutes before I submit
> new binaries...

The only change I noticed in the image 20020516 is that now I can
leave the loop. Perhaps there is no time now for it, but Explore
CD-Rom -> Choose an editor should have a submenu:
        NT Emacs
        other

If NT Emacs is not in a path, its installation should be offered to
the user.

> >>  Experiment 2:
> >>
> >> I choose <Explore CD-Rom> <Browse CD-Rom> and nothing happens.
>
> > The same for image 20020515.
>
> Same problem.

Works now.

> >>  Experiment 3:
> >>
> >> I choose <Documentation> <Run TeXDocTK>
> > <Fundamentals/general references> <User's guide> <View>
>
> > results in the error message
>
> >         Could not create temporary directory. Exiting.
>
> No such thing there. Will look again.

Works better, but not fully correct. Almost always I get the message
like this:

Requested documentation not found in a specified place,
check e:\texmf/texdoctk/texdoc-local.dat.
Looking for lshort.dvi elsewhere
in e:\tex,f/doc..

If the file looked for has an ambiguous name, like index.html for
English FAQ, a wrong file is displayed.

I got the message

not found, cancelling:

for the following files:

essential.dvi
latex2e.dvi
guide.dvi
symbols.dvi
faq.dvi
dante-faw.html

Then I stopped testing.

> >> BTW, the AUC TeX on this image is still 10.0g.
> > The same for image 2002515.
>
> Aargh ! The makefile copies only .elc files, not .el ones, so:
>
> site-lisp\auctex\tex.el:;; Version: 10.0g
> site-lisp\auctex\tex.elc:(defconst AUC-TeX-version "11.11"
>
> Will fix it. But submit only tomorrow (too huge from home).

What about the documentation files, ChangeLog etc.?

> A few things have changed wrt the support packages. Some of them
> like perl, ntemacs, gnu-utils, netpbm will install in "c:\Program
> Files" and not under the TeXLive directory (in fact, in a sibling of
> the TeXLive directory).

Installing NT Emacs in "Program Files" seems to me a step backwards:
what about a non-priviliged user on W2K? If you don't want Emacs Live
on CD, you should provide for him another option.

Last but not least, installation of NT Emacs seems to hang on the call
to addpm.

Best regards

Janusz

--