[tex-live] Re: URGENT!!

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Wed, 15 May 2002 21:03:07 +0100

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 08:28:01PM +0300, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> > Omega has always been unstable and experimental, hasn't it?
>
> And so is pdfTeX, e-TeX, and so on, but that's not the point, right?

etex is an odd thing, which was *heavily* tested, and is not
remotely unstable.

pdftex was stabilized and developed by peer group pressure and work,
in a way that I think we all hope Omega will be. but the two are
at very different stages in their development cycle, so far as I can
see. apart from anything else, John does not claim backward
compatibility or stability in the way that the others do (and quite
right too, IMHO. John should not be pressurized into stability).

> >  4 we delay TL until Omega 2
>
> Since it is not easy to find people to do the hard work this is
> a reasonable option for the moment...

we have an English saying about "the tail wagging the dog". to
delay the release of the CD because of Omega would be fairly
odd. maybe when your book comes out, people will start looking at it,
but are there seriously more than a dozen people making any use of it?
many many thousands of people *have* it, of course, and many many
people *want* it to succeed, but can anyone apart from Apostolos,
Idris and Gregg claim to use in "production"? maybe Yannis does?
but he seems to be under a vow of silence :-}