[tex-live] Re: URGENT!!

Apostolos Syropoulos apostolo@ocean1.ee.duth.gr
Wed, 15 May 2002 20:28:01 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Unless my memory is deeply flawed, TeX Live 6 carried version
> 1.23? and this is the first time anyone has mentioned the problem!

I have compiled TeXLive 6b on a Solaris x86 box and here is what I get:

apostolo@fiji>> omega -version
Omega (Web2C 7.3.3.1) 3.14159-1.15
kpathsea version 3.3.3.1
Copyright (C) 1999 J. Plaice and Y. Haralambous.
Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the Omega copyright and
the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files
named COPYING and the Omega source.
Primary author of Omega: J. Plaice and Y. Haralambous.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.

And I got the CD a couple of months ago...

>  > It is easy for me of course to back up to 1.15 but what about all the
>  > newer users of Omega? Apostolos Syropoulos is publishing a book that
>  > deals with Omega this Summer: what happens when people buy the book, >
>
> Apostolos should perhaps be considering this problem?

It is too late now.

>  > get TeXLive or MiKTeX, and have to deal with an unstable, experimental
>  > version of Omega?
>
> Omega has always been unstable and experimental, hasn't it?

And so is pdfTeX, e-TeX, and so on, but that's not the point, right?

>  4 we delay TL until Omega 2

Since it is not easy to find people to do the hard work this is
a reasonable option for the moment...

A.S.

*Apostolos Syropoulos                                          *
*snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00  Xanthi, HELLAS *
*email     : apostolo@ocean1.ee.duth.gr                        *
*phone num.: +30-(0)5410-28704                                 *
*home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo                *