[tex-live] Found?

Gerben Wierda sherlock@rna.nl
Thu, 2 May 2002 20:43:33 +0200

One problem found, probably *the* problem.

make extras does an install for kpathsea (because it needs it). The
install for kpathsea however needs another ranlib on Mac OS X, because
on Mac OS X (and some other systems) when the toc of the .a file is
older than the file date, the linker will complain and abort. For that
reason, I currently run that ranlib bny hand after doing a make install
on my system. But that does not work if make extras does a make install
on kpathsea.

The best solution is that 'make install' in TeX/texk/kpathsea is fixed
so that it will perform a ranlib on the installed library. A temporary
fix would be to remove the make install on kpathsea from the extras
stuff. After all, the 'extras' are supposed to be run after an install
has taken place anyway.

The current situation will not work on Mac OS X.