[tex-live] source changes

Olaf Weber olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl
04 Jun 2002 15:14:51 +0200

Olaf Weber writes:
> Sebastian Rahtz writes:
>> On Sun, Jun 02, 2002 at 10:29:24PM +0200, Olaf Weber wrote:

>>> Other options: wTeX (the w from Web2C, of course).

>> Christian Schenk needs the same fix for MikTeX, though

> The same fix, yes, but he may choose a non-identical one anyway?
> Has he had any comments on this mess?

>>> Or more Knuthian FTeX, where the F is not an "ef", but our
>>> representation of the old greek 'digamma' or "wau" (so again 'w').
>>> Of course you get ungainly constructs like pdfwTeX or pdfFTeX in
>>> that case, but that quickly becomes unavoidable.

>> that just *so* obscure...

> That's why I like it.  You can combine it with explaining that we're
> working with tau-epsilon-chi.

And as an added bonus, you can pronounce is "wow-TeX".  This in
contrast to what would happen if I followed the lead of people who're
using their initials: owTeX just doesn't sound right.

Or, more conservatively, we could use this 'TeX-k' or 'TeXk', bearing
in mind that the web2c bug reporting address is tex-k@tug.org.

--
Olaf Weber