[tex-live] TeXLive - installation

david.martland david.martland@tinyworld.co.uk
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:04:52 -0000

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C1B098.D0C9FAE0

I have just tried to load TeXLive from CD, which a colleague gave me. =
Unfortunately I have hit problems.

I installed TeXLive in about 20 minutes (OK -it seems to be a big =
package), but when I tried to test
it I received a message which indicated that perhaps LaTeX had not been =
loaded. Also, I had to create
my own (very short) Latex test file. Surely it would not be too much =
trouble to provide an auto install
which would fully configure the system, and then allow a short demo file =
to be processed.

I am afraid I am a refugee from the Unix, and now mostly use Windows or =
Mac systems. I do not have
a clue how to configure the windows PATH environment variable to access =
the CD directly, and test the
system that way - and Windows is not the system to help one to get into =
its inner workings.
Thus what I could do in one easy line in Unix might take me a long while =
to discover in Windows.

I have installed OzTex on my Mac, and that was relatively painless, =
though not
so painless as many packages for PCs. Nevertheless, it is a really =
useful package.

I appreciate that TeX, LaTeX and similar systems represent a vast amount =
of work
to create, but I am getting tired of the attitude that nothing good can =
come out of commercial
companies, such as Microsoft (Apple is protected, since it is clearly an =
underdog) - I have
hardly ever come across any software which originates from academic or =
other non commercial
sources which is easy to install.

Of course RTFM sometimes applies, but the fact is that many packages =
from Windows or Mac
environments can be installed with minimal knowledge, often in under 5 =
minutes.

In case you think I don't understand some of the issues, I must =
emphasise that I am familiar
with the need for academics to use markup languages, as I am one myself =
- but this does not
excuse putting so much of the onus for getting systems working on the =
end user, which seems to
be a source of delight to some Unix enthusiasts. Of course many end =
users are very intelligent, but
they just have better things to do than to spend hours poring over =
manuals trying to configure software.

Some academics and enthusiasts seem to be incapable of realising that =
there was not a golden
age of software 5,10,15 or 20 years ago, and software which was good =
then might appear really outdated
today.

An analogy between cars and software might be appropriate - most people =
want to drive, not build
or maintain their vehicles. Indeed, it is only the fact that LaTeX/TeX =
is capable of doing a good job
with some difficult text production which keeps it going - it would be =
foolish to argue that it is easy
to use, and if my experiences today are typical, to install.

Dr David Martland

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C1B098.D0C9FAE0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have just tried to load TeXLive from =
CD, which a=20
colleague gave me. Unfortunately I have hit problems.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I installed TeXLive in about 20 minutes =
(OK -it=20
seems to be a big package), but when I tried to test</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>it I received a message which indicated =
that=20
perhaps LaTeX had not been loaded. Also, I had to create</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>my own (very short) Latex test file. =
Surely it=20
would not be too much trouble to provide an auto install</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>which would fully configure the system, =
and then=20
allow a short demo file to be processed.</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am afraid I am a refugee from the =
Unix, and now=20
mostly use Windows or Mac systems. I do not have</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>a clue how to configure the windows =
PATH=20
environment variable to access the CD directly, and test =
the</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>system that way&nbsp;- and </FONT><FONT =
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>Windows is not the system to help one to get into its inner=20
workings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thus what I could do in one easy =
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>line in Unix might take me a long while to =
discover in=20
Windows.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have installed OzTex on my Mac, and =
that was=20
relatively painless, though not</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>so painless as many packages for PCs. =
Nevertheless,=20
it is a really useful package.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I appreciate that TeX, LaTeX and =
similar systems=20
represent a vast amount of work</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>to create, but I am getting tired of =
the attitude=20
that nothing good can come out of commercial</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>companies, such as Microsoft (Apple is =
protected,=20
since it is clearly an underdog) - I have</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>hardly ever come across any software =
which=20
originates from academic or other non commercial</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>sources which is easy to =
install.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Of course RTFM sometimes applies, but =
the fact is=20
that many packages from Windows or Mac</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>environments can be installed with =
minimal=20
knowledge, often in under 5 minutes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In case you think I don't understand =
some of the=20
issues, I must emphasise that I am familiar</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>with the need for academics to use =
markup=20
languages, as I am one myself - but this does not</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>excuse putting so much of the onus for =
getting=20
systems working on the end user, which seems to</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>be a source of delight to some Unix =
enthusiasts. Of=20
course many end users are very intelligent, but</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>they just have better things to do than =
to spend=20
hours poring over manuals trying to configure software.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Some academics and enthusiasts seem to =
be incapable=20
of realising that there was not a golden</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>age of software 5,10,15 or 20 years =
ago, and=20
software which was good then might appear really outdated</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>today.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>An analogy between cars and software =
might be=20
appropriate - most people want to drive, not build</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>or maintain their vehicles. Indeed, it =
is only the=20
fact that LaTeX/TeX is capable of doing a good job</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>with some difficult text production =
which keeps it=20
going - it would be foolish to argue that it is easy</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>to use, and if my experiences today are =
typical, to=20
install.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dr David =
Martland</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C1B098.D0C9FAE0--